Consumption…gifts…toys. If you’re like me, you live in a society where materialism and the availability of toys and “stuff” is overwhelming, you likely struggle with the desire for “more” vs. minimalism and mindful consumption.
In this episode we discuss how we can be eco-conscious when it comes to gifts and the holidays.
- [3:33] The deck is stacked against us when it comes to consumption and materialism…especially in the U.S.
- [6:29] The real issue is with our own internal struggles with mindful consumption.
- [6:42] We also need to give ourselves the grace and freedom to live a joy-filled life.
- [8:12] The world (and our children) needs less consumption.
- [15:29] Idea #1: Adopt an animal from a shelter.
- [16:48] Idea #2: An experience.
- [18:20] Idea #3: Second hand (used) items.
- [19:58] Idea #4: Long lasting/high quality toys.
- [21:40] Idea #5: Digital gifts.
In the end what makes the biggest impact is minimizing and making special occasions less about “stuff” and more about what really matters.
If you enjoyed this episode and it inspired you in some way, I’d love to hear about your biggest takeaway. Take a selfie of you listening or a screenshot of the show, post it to Instagram stories, and tag me @parentingjunkie or feel free to DM me on Instagram, I try to reply to as many as I can!
Are you subscribed to my podcast? Subscribe here so that fresh episodes are delivered directly to you.
Those shiny 5-star ratings and sweet reviews have me all gushy, thank you. But more importantly, they help other parents discover the Parenting Junkie Show and spread the word about Loving parenting and Parenting from Love. If you have a moment to spare, those reviews mean the world to me, you can leave one here.
Want to connect to like-minded parenting junkies?
Join our (free & awesome) FB community Love Parenting with Avital.
Links & resources mentioned: