How to Create The Marriage and Family You’ve Always Wanted
We’ve all inherited a blueprint for relationships from our parents, whether we’ve acknowledged it or not. And unless we examine it further, we’re destined to have the same relationship as our parents.
Some of us may have been blessed with a great model for how to properly treat others, communicate, and resolve conflicts. But many were not so blessed, and even if you were, there are likely things about your parent’s relationship that you would do differently.
In this episode we’re going to discuss the process of examining our parent’s relationship and how we can create the relationship and family we’ve always wanted (plus set up our kids for relational success!).
- [02:52] Ask yourself: Do I want my parent’s relationship?
- [04:48] Our parent’s relationship formed a sub-conscious blueprint for our own relationships.
- [07:07] If we don’t address it, we’re likely to repeat it.
- [08:35] Or we reject it completely and try to do the exact opposite.
- [11:08] Our kids learn how to interact with others from the way they see us interact with our partner.
- [15:26] Pick the best from our parent’s marriage, and find alternatives for the rest.
- [17:57] Look at your parent’s marriage with an external, objective viewpoint.
- [19:46] Envision the relationship and family you want to create.
- [22:27] Develop the skills necessary to make our dream a reality and start making small changes to our thoughts, words, and actions.
We owe it to ourselves and our children (and their children!) to put in the work to create the marriage and family of our dreams. There will be a cascading effect that will change generations.
If you enjoyed this episode and it inspired you in some way, I’d love to hear about your biggest takeaway. Take a selfie of you listening or a screenshot of the show, post it to Instagram stories, and tag me @parentingjunkie or feel free to DM me on Instagram, I try to reply to as many as I can!
Are you subscribed to my podcast? Subscribe here so that fresh episodes are delivered directly to you.
Those shiny 5-star ratings and sweet reviews have me all gushy, thank you. But more importantly, they help other parents discover the Parenting Junkie Show and spread the word about Loving parenting and Parenting from Love. If you have a moment to spare, those reviews mean the world to me, you can leave one here.
Want to connect to like-minded parenting junkies?
Join our (free & awesome) FB community Love Parenting with Avital.
- Our course, Parent In Love
- Podcast Episode 14 (You are your child’s curriculum)