It’s Time to Adjust Our Expectations So They Match Our Resources
At times in life (and for many, the present time), we’ll face challenges and changes in our resources. To stay sane (or sometimes just survive), it’s necessary to adjust your expectations to what’s realistic given your circumstances.
- [08:53] We can choose whether or not to be a victim.
- [10:29] We have to match our level of expectations to the level of our resources.
- [11:17] When you lose resources, there’s a transition period where you may be edgy and frustrated. Give yourself grace!
- [12:11] If you’re measuring against old expectations, you’ll feel like a failure. It’s time to adjust your expectations.
- [13:34] Resources can be time, money, etc., but we must also consider physical, mental, and emotional resources.
- [14:43] Assess how your resources have changed.
- [15:43] In areas where there’s a depletion of resources, there MUST be a depletion of expectations.
- [16:49] We must be adaptable, and flexible…even in our parenting styles.
- [17:58] If you’re feeling overwhelmed, just focus on the next thing.
- [19:07] Celebrate every win, no matter how small.
It’s liberating when your expectations are adjusted to reality. You can focus on what’s next, give yourself some breathing room (and grace), and look for the good in the situation we’ve been handed.
If you enjoyed this episode and it inspired you in some way, I’d love to hear about your biggest takeaway. Take a selfie of you listening or a screenshot of the show, post it to Instagram stories, and tag me @parentingjunkie or feel free to DM me on Instagram, I try to reply to as many as I can!
Are you subscribed to my podcast? Subscribe here so that fresh episodes are delivered directly to you.
Those shiny 5-star ratings and sweet reviews have me all gushy, thank you. But more importantly, they help other parents discover the Parenting Junkie Show and spread the word about Loving parenting and Parenting from Love. If you have a moment to spare, those reviews mean the world to me, you can leave one here.
Want to connect to like-minded parenting junkies?
Join our (free & awesome) FB community Love Parenting with Avital.